Sunday, October 23, 2005

ALL KAPS...

"IT'S UGLY LIKE 'LOOK AT YOU IT'S A DAMN SHAME', JUST REMEMBER ALL CAPS WHEN YOU SPELL THE MAN'S NAME..." - MADVILLAIN

MADNESS. GET RID OF CAPS ALTOGETHER BECAUSE THEY ARE'NT REALLY NECESSARY? AIYO, I ONLY USE CAPS BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I'M LIVIN'...ALL CAPS ALL DAY, YOU FEEL ME? IT'S WHAT SEPERATES THE MAN FROM THE BEAST. AND I DON'T EVEN MESS WITH HOLDIN DOWN THE SHIFT KEY EITHER: I TAPE DOWN THE CAPS BUTTON! I TYPE IN, DESIGN WITH, AND WRITE ONLY IN CAPS SO YOU KNOW THAT I'M NOT MESSING AROUND. I TAKE THIS SH*T SERIOUSLY...

Seriously folks, I don't know what to think about the ommission capital letters. Like Mr. McMurtrie says, we've been conditioned to read and expect a cap to start a sentence, to begin a proper name, and to EMPHASISE an important point. Many written languages exist without any form case differentiation, but Western languages use the Cap. I guess we could get by without them, but do we need to?

So what's the big deal? Do we NEED them? No, but it makes typography a little more colorful right? When I capped out "need" you read it and gave it a little emphasis didn't you? I guess I could have put it in italics or underlined it, but big caps make a strong impression. I am guilty of never using caps when I email or text message somebody because I'm a lazy dude. When I write or type my name I rarely capitalize the t or the j, but I could if I wanted to. There is far more typographic versatility when you have 26 extra letters to play with, and people like to play.

(one day later): What the hell? Are Sam and I the only one's who read this thing? You wankers...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Eric West said...

Hey TeeJay.

It's about fixing something that isn't broken!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home