Sunday, October 23, 2005

I crave brains!!!

Wow, I completely forgot about this. Sorry to all of you who were anxiously awaiting my deep thoughts and witty comments on this essay. Right.

Honestly, the first thing thought as I read this essay is that I can say with one hundred percent certainty that I have never ever thought this in-depth about design. So while on one hand I'm glad to be thinking critically about design and all, on the other hand, my head kinda hurts. Something random: it amuses me for some reason to think that design is so relatively new as a profession that its roots are called "modernism."

This really seems to be a continuation of something we always end up discussing in class; do you need to have concrete reasoning and logic behind your design, or is it okay do do something just for the sake of style? There seems to be a fine line between appreciating the past and being controlled by it and letting it constrict your choices. A lot of the modernist principles of design still seem relevant, but should we be constantly evolving and moving foward rather than still using the old standards? Really I think I need to go back and read this essay at least one more time in order to fully appreciate it. Maybe I should take notes this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home