Sunday, October 02, 2005

"Rumors of the Death of Typography..."

The first thing that comes to mind about this article is that the title is just a tad over-dramatic, don't you think? Whether or not I like the typography and fonts the author is talking about, it makes me giggle a little to think of how many different generations of artists (and probably people in all sorts of other professions as well) have lamented over the new generation's ruining of their traditions and fundamental principles. As I read the article, I was reminded of our last discussion. This author really seems to be making the same argument about the sanctity of type and the travesties these computer-weilding "font designers" are creating. I was relieved to read however, that he does go on to speak about the second part of his title: "...Have Been Greatly Exaggerated." I agree that all this "degenerate type" is fashion. The majority of them will fade away leaving little evidence that they even existed. Now helvetica, trajan, gill sans, futura--these are the typefaces that will obviously endure no matter what the current trends are. I do understand the author's irritation at the glut of self proclaimed type designers armed with only a computer and some software churning out annoying, useless fonts, but I think it's really just not worth getting all worked up over. Bad design is out there, its going to happen, and it can happen whether someone uses helvetica or burner. And while I do tend to think most of these typefaces are pretty stupid and ugly (yes, those are technical industry terms) I have seen a few designs using them that I think were pretty successful. So to me the moral of the story is that people have to get used to the fact that things change, and not always for the better. But as the author points out, that does not mean that good typography is dead, you just might have to wade through a lot more shit these days to find it. P.S. I feel like a dummy because I still don't know how to insert a page break on this thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home