Sunday, October 02, 2005

Rumors...

Sigh. Although comparing degenerate type to jet skis is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, I have to say that I kind of agree with the guy. Not about jet skis, people should be able to ride their jet skis wherever the hell they want. But I do think that the whole ugly, illegible type thing is just a trend. Obviously whenever you have any kind of new technology that is widely available to the public you are going to have unqualified people creating things. People didn't create typefaces like "Burner" back in the day because of the huge amount of time and expertise it took to create a typeface when you are using a letterpress. Now that everything is on computers, people can bust out a font in a few hours. So of course there is going to be a lot of crap out there. I think everyone knows that. I also agree with Fraterdeus that it is ridiculous for the people that create these typefaces to claim that they are "changing the nature of legibility".I tried to go to the website listed under the quote where someone is arguing that, "Burner allows the reader to become part of the message by forcing him or her to understand the type...", but it said it was no longer available. Whatever. I mean I'm sure that someone somewhere had used the typeface well. I'm not saying that all new type is crap, I just think that the people that are creating it and the amount of time that goes into it are nowhere near what they used to be. Therefore, Burner will never have the same legitimacy as say, Baskerville. Then again, people in his day thought his stuff was crap. So who knows. Anyway, I totally agree with the author that clarity and elegance will always have sway over trendiness and kitsch when it comes to type. Seriously though man, get over the jet ski thing. I have to go to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home