Sunday, October 02, 2005

Well it has not happened yet

I know that Moholy-Nagy was a great designer, but this essay is a little far fetched for me to wrap my head around. I think that typography will always exist in some form or another. It is in our human nature to write or use letters to communicate and even design with. It may be in a different form that we see typography. Take the internet for example, it is a wide world full of type ( good, bad and sometimes very bad ) that we see almost everyday. I know that not every person owns a computer but there are so many people that use them at work or at school or at the public library. I think that now in 2005 we have an ever larger forum for using type and making quality designs with type just inside the internet realm. I do believe that typography will continue to be very prevalent in our lives because of the constant technology that demands it to be present for communication purposes.
The internet is a fairly new form of communication, so I feel that it will only get better over time, and so will the use of type inside of the internet. The internet might have been a si-fi novel like idea to Moholy-Nagy, but I think if he was around today he might retract his "New Typography" theory. The world will always use type, and new inventions will need type to fuel the evolution of technology.
It is hard for me to grasp the concept of not having books, magazines, newspapers or any other type of paper with words on it. But you never know anything is possible. I see the world in the future having typography but the surface that it lives on has changed. I think that is what it is all about, we will not change the way we use typography it will just come in a different format.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home